Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How is this possible?

Recently we registered Kaitlyn for kindergarten. I'm still in a bit of shock as to how this is possible. How did she get to the age where she's ready for this?! But I'm reminded of the following saying and really understand how true it is for parents: 'The days are long but the years are short'.

On one hand, I'm doing a big ole jig about the upcoming kindergarten milestone. Mainly, it's because she's so ready for it and excited about it and I can't wait to see all her curiosity play out in a more formal school setting. Also, I won't lie...it's lovely knowing that our child care expenses will be dramatically decreased. On the other hand though, I just want to keep her at home with me forever! Standing in the Rock Creek school office made me realize that we are about to enter a whole other world that's a bit foreign and includes a lot of letting go.

We've currently got her registered for both public school and private school. Not sure which direction we want to take yet but wanted to keep our options open. It's crazy how early and quick programs fill up. The good news is that we have some time to make our decision and we have until September before it becomes a reality. Until then, I'm going to enjoy all her preschool activities and events that she has remaining, savor our special Friday afternoons together, and soak in the remnants of goodness that comes with being a free spirited four-year old.

No comments: